TK: snes/sfc GANBARE DAIKU NO GEN-SAN (HAMMERIN' HARRY)

Bied hier alles aan en wat je zoekt voor arcade en consoles.
DNL
Active Level:
Active Level:

TK: snes/sfc GANBARE DAIKU NO GEN-SAN (HAMMERIN' HARRY)

Post by DNL » Fri Jan 19, 2007 09:36

Compleet, MINT en zeer vet :D

You go through 4 stages, each with 2 zones. After all this you face the final boss. Harry will transverse towns, woods and even a booby trap-infested factory zone. The game has a nice urban Japanese feel to it, and probably one reason why it never saw a Western release.

1-1
Your journey begins in this easy stage that allows you to get the feel of the game. Smash the SD Zangief-wanna-be clones and watch out for cranky female street sweepers and stray cats. You can jump on roofs and on shingles Harry will gradually slide down. Good stuff there.
BOSS 1: CAT-MAN
A man in a giant cat suit. Something is wrong with that picture. At any rate, a SUPER easy boss with a pattern that's laugh-out-loud simple. BTW, all bosses have twice your health. When you get him down to about 25%, he sheds his cat mask...

1-2
This stage opens as a "racing section;" enemies on bikes riding by trying to pelt him with rocks. Either close in and hammer them, or ricochet their rocks back at 'em. There are two racing sections in the game, helping to add some variety to the proceedings. After this section you go into regular platforming business.
BOSS 2: CHUCK THE CHUCKER
The boss cakewalks might be over here, but he's not really hard. True to his name (that I've given him, mind you) he chucks bottles and other debris at our hero.

2-1
Here we begin the foray into the forest. Mad red-faced chimps run wildly around as the crazy cranks sweep the forest floor. (why? Those crazy Japanese) Harry can climb on tree trunks to make his way to the top of their limbs to break open crates. Beware of the poison powerdown that does damage to our SD hero.
BOSS 3: BOOMERANG BILLY
This wild mad-cap Tarzan wannabe swings on vines and when he's on solid ground will toss boomerangs your way. Simple pattern. Show him who's King of the Jungle.

2-2
Some nice little features in this stage. Wooden sticks pop out of the ground and you have to figure out which ones to hit to cause the other sticks to come out on higher ground, so that you can jump on those and make your way out of the pit. Midway through this stage you will come across a cool little construction zone. They're trying to destroy everything these mad men! You can't take my woods YA HEAR ME?! *shakes fist* [cue Groundskeeper Willie] YA CAN'T HAVE MAH WOOOOODS! *ahem*
BOSS 4: CHARLENE THE CHAINSAW CRUSHER
Ah those crazy Japanese. She has a simple but fun pattern. When she chases you on the ground sparks fly like wild from her chainsaw. Leatherface she is not but I don't care: anyone chasing you with a chainsaw is no fun. Watch out for those falling rocks and remember to jump quickly!

3-1
The 2nd and final racing section. After this you go through platforming business per usual. Very short until you run into a crazy scruffy ole bloke.
BOSS 5: SCOTT "THE SCRUFFY SUICIDAL" SKATEBOARDIN' SAVAGE (oh you like that huh)
I love how this game is so Japanese-y and along comes this bloke, heh. Easy pattern you just have to time it well. Send Scruffy packin'!

3-2
My favorite stage. You make your way across a nice little waterfall, with falling blocks after you touch 'em. Standard classic platforming from the beginning of civilization (or the 80's..) The coolest part of this stage though is when late afternoon suddenly rolls into beautiful and peaceful evening, with the stars out in full force... it's really a nice little atmospheric change.
BOSS 6: DYNAMITE DAN
This guy can be a true pain in the neck. Not only does he bounce from wall to wall like freaking Spider-Man but he throws sticks of dynamite at you as well as other means of destruction. At the same time the ground will heat up so there are many ways for you to lose energy. Having 4, 5 muscle icons really help here. And a God who loves you. Just kidding. But you knew that. OK. Yeah. *pause* This is awkward. Moving on.

4-1
Almost there! 2 more stages to go after this! Harry's travels take him to the factory zone where booby traps and foot soldiers litter the place. There are old scientists in tiny cramped up corners madly controlling crushing machinery -- the only way to get through these parts is, as mentioned earlier in the review, to employ the highly obscure U, UF, F + attack command. This sees Harry tossing his hammer across the screen and back like a boomerang. 4 hits will kill the old scientists and the crushing machinery will stop. Just hit them with your hammer to destroy them then.
BOSS 7: DOCTOR DEATH
What an intimidating sight for sore eyes. Ole crazy Doc here mans this heap of machinery in hopes to thwart Harry's efforts. What can I say but... look for the certain shots that are richochet-able... and have many muscle icons on ya....

After you beat Doctor Death he escapes and kidnaps your girlfriend in the process. Well, I won't spoil the rest. You have 4-2 and 5-1 to figure out on your own. I will say this: 4-2 boss is very annoying but it's all a matter of figuring out their patterns and weaknesses. Ah the beauty of video games. Final boss is easy. This battle stretches 3 screens wide!

Graphics: 8
Sound: 7
Gameplay: 8
Replay: 7

Overall: 7.5

Now that's what I call getting teh 0WN3D!1 (hey, he looks like BONK there)

Someone cut the cheese?

Sweeping the forest floor? Oi, best to rid her of her misery!

"Hey buddy, I love the size of yer hammer! Let's do lunch sometime!"

You gotta love night scenes in video games

Hammerin' Harry gets some air

This shot reminds me of Megaman...

Things start to get real hairy for Harry, har har

Show the old man who's the boss by tossing your load at him... er, wait, no...

"This is nuts. I can always find another girlfriend. I'm outta this ****hole, have a nice life Yumi"
ImageImage
" I don't die not to live. I don't yield if my wish is not fulfilled. I never die with regrets. "